Using Student Strengths
It is all too easy to get caught in the deficit-model trap.
FBA/BSP should be about building off of the strengths the student already has. Every child is special and deserves to be talked about with respect and positivity!
Tips for how to keep it positive during the FBA process:
- Take the time to talk about what successes the student has had lately. These may point to strategies that work!
- Give the student credit for his/her successes. It's not all about us.
- Be a beacon of positivity about your student. When someone approaches you with a negative comment about a child, share a positive counter-story!
- Recognize the student's learning style, and incorporate those strengths into the plan. For example, if the student loves to draw, incorporate strategies like drawing cartoons to talk through what to do in a difficult scenario.
- Make sure the BSP incorporates opportunities for the student to experience success EVERY DAY.
Check Back Soon for more!